Delta Green: Days of Infamy (2013 – Present)

Special Collection, Session 2

Previous Session: Special Collection, session 1

Scenario Author: Allan Goodall
Write-up Author: Allan Goodall
Run Date: March 3, 2013
Game System: Call of Cthulhu, 5.5 edition with Delta Green optional rules
Keeper: Allan Goodall
Characters: Marine Cpt. Barnabas Gentry (Logan Carpenter), member of P Division; Professor Edwin Lawrence (Jason Gallagher), expert in folklore and the occult; Dr. Elinor Tweed (Alana Goodall), civilian biologist working for P Division.

Friday, 6 March 1942, 1330 EST

Hotel Arlington, Manhattan, New York

The ride back to the P Division agents' hotel was quiet, except for Edwin muttering about staying away from basements. The two agents recommended to Edwin that he not go home that night, and he concurred. The cab dropped them off at the hotel. Barnabas paid the driver while Edwin checked in. They took the elevator up to the 10th floor, Elinor carefully shielding Edwin from the control panel and the button labeled "B" for "basement".

Late in the afternoon Elinor knocked on Barnabas' door. She suggested that they go to the P Division office in New York and have the officer in charge run a license plate check on the car before the office closed for the day. Barnabas agreed. They left Edwin behind with the box and the book stored under his bed for safe keeping.

The P Division New York office was literally a single office tucked away in the dim recesses of the federal building occupied by the Office of Naval Intelligence in New York. They flashed their badges when entering the building and walked past desks occupied by ONI personnel until they came to a small office in a far corner of the floor. This was the office of Lt. George Nesmith, the P Division liaison in New York.

The two agents introduced themselves and shook George's hand. Elinor explained what they were doing in New York, including the thing that attacked Barnabas. George's eyes glazed over. Whatever oddity or weirdness they had uncovered was absolutely of no interest to George. Elinor cut to the chase. She told George they needed find the owner of a car. George interrupted her and asked for the plate number.

George picked up the phone and contacted the Department of Motor Vehicles in Albany, NY. He hung up a few minutes later. They would call back when they had the information. Twenty minutes later, as Elinor and Barnabas read the newspaper and George worked on paper work, the phone rang. George answered, took down the information, thanked the person on the other end, and hung up. He handed Elinor the information. The car was owned by Herman Shields. Included was Shields' address in Queens.

While they were in the office, they placed a long distance call to Lt. Foresyth. They brought Foresyth up to date on the investigation. Foresyth informed them that he would be briefing Cook shortly. He would see what he could do about giving them "additional assets".

They took a cab back to the hotel and collected Edwin. The three of them took the cab to Herman Shields' address. The cab pulled up to a modest two story home that was nearly indistinguishable from the others on this thoroughly average middle class street. They got out and let the cab drive away as twilight gave way to darkness.

Barnabas knocked on the door as the others watched for signs of motion from inside. There was none, nor were there any signs of pesky neighbors. They walked around to the back door and Barnabas knocked again. There was no sign of life inside the house. Barnabas shrugged, and then kicked in the door. The frame cracked as the door slammed against the inside wall. They moved inside quickly before anyone could see their forced entry.

Elinor found a lamp and turned it on. They looked around the house. It soon became clear to Elinor that the house was owned by a single man. There were no family pictures on the wall, no doilies on the table, no lace curtains. The refrigerator held a couple of bottles of beer, a package of ground meat, a stick of butter, and a bottle of now spoiled milk.

They split up and searched the house. Edwin found the phone on a table and a pad of paper beside it. Tracing the paper with a pencil, he uncovered an imprint of the last thing written on the pad: "KD Fr 7". In a drawer under the phone he found $150 in cash.

Barnabas went upstairs and found a study. In a desk he discovered a number of papers, including Shields' bank statement. Shields received what appeared to be a weekly paycheck from St. Paul's Catholic Church. He also received, last month, a lump sum deposit of $1,000.

While Elinor kept Edwin company, Barnabas went into the basement. The basement was unfinished, the ceiling barely 6 feet high. Like most homes built around the turn of the century, the basement walls were brick. He ducked between joists and found a hanging light. The basement was empty except for a furnace, a water heater, and an old desk. Searching around the desk he discovered that several bricks beside the desk were loose. He pulled out the bricks and shone the light in the hole. In the hole sat a large radio set.

He pulled out the radio. A power cable and an antenna wire snaked back inside the hole. All the writing on the radio was in German. Barnabas could speak a little bit of German, and so he quickly found the power switch. He put on the headphones but all he heard was static.

Barnabas went back upstairs and asked Elinor to join him in the basement. The two agents looked over the radio. Meanwhile upstairs, Edwin heard a car pull up to the house. He yelled for the agents. Barnabas and Elinor charged back up to the main floor. The trio quickly bolted out the back door as two figures knocked on the front door.

Edwin and the agents climbed the fence joining Shields' home with that of the neighbors to the left. The athletic Barnabas was over the fence and then over another fence before Elinor and Edwin had cleared the first. He waited for them to catch up. By the time they got to the street, the car — a brown Chevrolet four-door sedan — was pulling away. Edwin caught only a partial license plate.

The agents quickly ran back to the house, while Edwin waited by the back door and Elinor did a quick check of the main floor, Barnabas ran back down into the basement. He disconnected the radio and carried it out of the house. It weighed about 50 pounds. Elinor turned off the lights. They closed the door behind them, though it was impossible to disguise the fact that someone had broken in.

They walked down to a nearby corner store. Outside was a pay phone. Edwin called for a cab. When the cab arrived, they climbed in and rode back to the hotel.

Saturday, 7 March 1942, 0900 EST

Science Department, Columbia University, New York

The next day they took the radio to Columbia University. Even though it was a Saturday, they found someone in the engineering faculty to help them. An associate professor, Burt Weeks, looked over the radio. It was of recent manufacture, maybe three years old. Weeks deduced that it had a range of only about 10 miles, long enough to broadcast to a set in New Jersey, or to a vessel off the U.S. coast. It was possible that a hobbiest purchased it in the United States. It was also possible that because it had German lettering Shields was afraid to leave it out in the open. The agents didn't think that was likely.

They thanked Weeks and then took the radio back to the hotel. The next order of business was to visit St. Paul's Catholic Church. They took a cab back to Queens. The day was pretty, with the temperature up around 50 degrees. What little snow was left was melting. People were active on the streets. The church was busy.

After a few minutes standing inside the church's sanctuary, they were approached by Father William Mackasay, the parish priest. He noted Barnabas' service uniform and greeted them warmly.

The trio asked when the priest had last seen Herman Shields. Father Mackasay said that he last saw him on Tuesday. Shields did the church's bookkeeping. When they asked if the church had any money go missing, the priest seemed visibly shocked. He trusted Shields and didn't believe anything had gone missing. The Father asked what this was about, and so the agents explained that Shields was missing. The priest seemed genuinely worried and upset about Shields' disappearance.

Edwin and the agents questioned Father Mackasay as casually as they could. When asked if Shields was of German descent, Father Mackasay said he didn't believe so, but didn't know for sure. The priest denied knowing anything about a stolen book, a woman with a German accent, or the current whereabouts of Herman Shields. If the priest was hiding anything, the agents and Edwin couldn't tell.

They thanked the priest for his time, and Barnabas gave Father Mackasay his card. "If you can think of anything, or if you hear from Herman Shields, give me a call." The priest promised to do that.

The agents left the church no closer to finding Herman Shields (though they had a pretty good idea what happened to him), the woman with the German accent, or the men who showed up at Shields' door.

One mystery was solved, though, when the meaning of the mysterious note he uncovered in Shields' home finally came to Edwin on the ride back to the hotel. "KD Fr 7". It wasn't code. "Fr 7" meant Friday at 7 pm. That was almost exactly the time that the car appeared and the two figures knocked on Shields' door. Whoever the mysterious visitors were, it was likely that one of them was "KD", showing up for a scheduled appointment.