Manassas National Battlefield Park

Henry House

Henry House as seen from the Visitor's Center (25K)

Image 1: Henry House as seen from the Visitor's Center. A view of Henry House from behind the Visitor's Center, looking north.

Henry House and the Patriots Monument (23K)

Image 2: Henry House and the Patriots Monument. A view of Henry House. To the right is the monument erected in 1865 for the Union soldiers who fought at the battle. On the far left is the the interpretive plaque overlooking the Stone House.

Closer view of Henry House and the Patriots Monument (27K)

Image 3: A closer view of Henry House and the Patriots Monument.

Patriots Monument (16K)

Image 4: The Patriots Monument. The monument was erected by Northerners in 1865. The inscription on the monument reads, "In Memory of the Patriots who fell at Bull Run."

Henry family graves (31K)

Image 5: Henry family graves. Just west of Henry House, is a small iron-fenced area where three of the Henry family are buried. In the middle is the grave of Mrs. Judith Henry. The grave on the left is that of Ellen P. Morris, daughter of Judith Henry. The grave on the right is that of Hugh F. Henry, one of Judith Henry's sons.

Mrs. Henry, a widow, was bedridden. When the battle began her daughter, son, and hired servant tried to get her to safety but the battle developed too quickly. She told them to take her back to her bed. A shot from the artillery battery of Union Captain J. B. Ricketts struck her where she lay, killing her.

1st Manassas: The main fighting at the First Battle of Manassas (July 21, 1861) was concentrated around the Henry House and Henry Hill. After the Union troops crossed Sudley Ford and engaged the Confederates, the Confederates were pushed back to Henry Hill. The Confederate battle line formed north of the house.

2nd Manassas: By the time the fighting reached Henry Hill at Second Manassas (August 30, 1862), a Confederate victory was all but assured. What wasn't assured was the destruction of Union Major General John Pope's Army of Virginia. A stiff defense of the hill allowed the army to avoid complete annihilation.

For more information see Henry Hill and Jackson Monument.

These photographs were taken in May, 1999 with a Nikon F-601 autofocus SLR, using a Nikkor 24mm - 50mm f2.8 wide angle zoom lens. The images were captured on Kodak Gold 200 film.